“We are sorry for the inconvenience, but this is a revolution.”
― Subcomandante Marcos
Chiapas, Mexico (January 1, 1994)
Illustration above: "Las Antorchas", Leopoldo Méndez (Mexico, Mexico City, 1902-1969), La Estampa Mexicana (Mexico, Mexico City)
Our lucha continues.
Samir’s death follows a disturbing trend of unsolved murders of environmental and human rights defenders, the majority of them Indigenous.
The number of journalists killed for their reporting doubled in 2020.
At least 30 journalists were killed the past year, according to the Committee to Protect Journalists, with 21 assassinated as a direct result of their work.
"Those who die for life,
cannot be called dead
And from this moment on,
it is forbidden to cry for them."
– Alí Primera
What to do?
– Share this campaign, use the hashtag #SamirVive
– Stand in solidarity with Samir, speak to others about the censorship and political crimes occurring in Mexico. According to Democracy Now:
"The number of journalists killed in retaliation for their work more than doubled this year, with Mexico being the most dangerous country for journalists in 2020, followed by Afghanistan and the Philippines, according to a new report by the Committee to Protect Journalists, which found at least 30 journalists have been killed around the world this year."
– Participate in the exhibition, contribute to the altar for his life by sharing with him your ofrenda.
– Sign the petition by FrayBa calling for a stop to the paramilitary aggressions by the ORCAO in the Zapatista community of Moisés Gandhi
– Sign the EZLN Declaration for Life
– Donate, if you can afford it, to the upcoming trip from the EZLN, CNI and FPDTA-MPT.
List of resources:
"Samir Flores A Un Año de Su Asesinato" via Radio Zapatista.
"Mexico: Radio Reporter Killed Amid Spate of Journalist Murders", via DemocracyNow!
"Seeking Justice for Indigenous Land Rights Activist Samir Flores Soberanes" via WITNESS.
"Mexico: 2 Radio Journalists Killed in Past Week" via DemocracyNow!
"Mexican environmental activist murdered in Morelos" via BBC.
"Mexican activist shot dead before vote on power project he opposed" via The Guardian.
List of organizations and individuals in solidarity with the cause. Please message or email us and we'll gladly add you to our directory.
Schools for Chiapas